INTRODUCING OUR CHAIRPERSON:
The Chairperson at Rainbow Wellington is the Officer who supervises the affairs of the Organisation at and between meetings of the Board. The Chair is a member of all Committees that might exist under the Rainbow Wellington umbrella and is a bank signatory as part of the Rainbow Wellington financial management.
The Chair is the ‘public face’ of Rainbow Wellington, which is to say that they are the spokesperson when comment is needed for the news and social media and is a member of all clubs, societies and associations affiliated with Rainbow Wellington.
Rawa Karetai has been involved with the LGBTI+ community and identifies as an Androphilic Cis-Gendered Maori Man.
A longstanding activist and lobbyist in Human Rights, Rawa has been championing Human Rights and campaigns for community causes where ever he goes. Since a young man, Rawa was found to campaign issues that directly related to the community he grew up in. Often on school committees, establishing a radio club and on the Regional Councils Youth Advisory group helping such projects such as Venture Southland and Southland, Spirit of a Nation.
After leaving school, Rawa went to Massey University in Albany and is a former President of Massey University's Albany Students' Association, on the Universities Academic Board and the Universities Council. Having huge success in helping get a few major buildings on the Albany Campus, developing the Clubs and Societies and hardship funds so that students could have fun while on campus.
Since leaving Auckland, Rawa decided to move to Wellington which is where he now calls home. He became heavily involved in the Marriage Equality Campaign, chairing regular community meetings on the issue and organising the National Marriage Equality Conference in 2012.
Currently in his third term as chairperson, Rawa has championed International Human Rights campaigns in particular highlighting the work still needed in the Pacific, Africa, Russia, Australia and Turkey. He has also helped submitted on documents to the United Nations and the Commonwealth Head of Government Meetings on top of the campaigns that Rainbow Wellington does.
Association Chairperson position shall:
- Be responsible for the supervision of the affairs of the Association;
- Be responsible for overseeing the administration of the Association between Executive meetings;
- Be chairperson of any General Meetings of the Association;
- Be chairperson of any Executive Meeting;
- Be responsible for Executive matters in the absence of the Executive;
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees of the Association;
- Be a cheque signatory for the Association;
- Be responsible for the coordination of all dealings with bodies external to the Association.
- Be responsible for the coordination of the work of the Executive;
- Represent the Association in the media, to other organisations and nationally on issues affecting the Rainbow Community in Wellington;
- Report at each ordinary meeting of the Executive on matters that have arisen of interest to the Association and of matters dealt with by the Chairperson; and
- Be an ex-officio member of all affiliated clubs and societies of the Association.