INTRODUCING OUR CHAIRPERSON:
Phone: 027-245 9045
The Chairperson at Rainbow Wellington is the Officer who supervises the affairs of the Organisation at and between meetings of the Board. The Chair is a member of all Committees that might exist under the Rainbow Wellington umbrella and is a bank signatory as part of the Rainbow Wellington financial management.
The Chair is the ‘public face’ of Rainbow Wellington, which is to say that they are the spokesperson when comment is needed for the news and social media and is a member of all clubs, societies and associations affiliated with Rainbow Wellington.
Richard Arnold grew up in Dunedin and Christchurch, but after a 12 year stint abroad has called Wellington home since 1999.
Richard has been involved in a range of community groups, including the Cambridge AIDS Helpline in the UK and Amnesty International. In recent years Richard has been a member of the committee of Wellington's LGBTI swim club 'Different Strokes Wellington', and is also currently their captain. He also co-convenes 'Rainbow Team Wellington', the local association of LGBTI sports and recreation clubs, and has participated in the Outgames in Wellington, Antwerp and Darwin.
Richard joined the 'Rainbow Wellington' Board in 2015 as sports rep and was elected Chair in 2017. He is a lecturer and researcher in statistics at Victoria University of Wellington, and takes a professional interest in social statistics. As well as promoting the interests of our community, he is interested in getting the best possible evidence about who we are and what we do.
Richard has a vision for Rainbow Wellington; that it as a well connected, well respected and effective advocate for the members of our community.
Association Chairperson position shall:
- Be responsible for the supervision of the affairs of the Association;
- Be responsible for overseeing the administration of the Association between Executive meetings;
- Be chairperson of any General Meetings of the Association;
- Be chairperson of any Executive Meeting;
- Be responsible for Executive matters in the absence of the Executive;
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees of the Association;
- Be a cheque signatory for the Association;
- Be responsible for the coordination of all dealings with bodies external to the Association.
- Be responsible for the coordination of the work of the Executive;
- Represent the Association in the media, to other organisations and nationally on issues affecting the Rainbow Community in Wellington;
- Report at each ordinary meeting of the Executive on matters that have arisen of interest to the Association and of matters dealt with by the Chairperson; and
- Be an ex-officio member of all affiliated clubs and societies of the Association.